This statue stands by the harbour in Tananger, and commemorates the bravery of sisters Ester (15) and Bertine (12), known now as the "Flatholmen girls".
It was a stormy day in January 1894 when these two girls tried to save their lighthousekeeper father and two brothers from drowning. Returning from a trip ashore the father and sons were trying to get back to the isolated lighthouse on Flatholmen Island, where the lighthousekeeper had left his two daughters and baby son alone. Seeing their boat capsize in heavy seas, the two girls quickly launched a small rowing boat and managed to rescue one brother (aged 8). Sadly their father and the other brother perished.
Despite being four fatherless children alone, and cut off by the storm, they lit the light that night in Flatholmen Lighthouse.